Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And so it goes..

Week three of classes is here.. I survived my 7 am class today.. barely..

Jon and I have been looking into what to do for our spring and Easter breaks, and we're starting to make some headway on a trip to the Okavango delta to see some lions and canoe through crocodile infested waters.. haha

To get to classes we walk along a road with a lot of construction.. I've noticed that when I walk without Jon in the mornings I get at least a couple wedding proposals. Today a construction worker was telling me how he needs to marry "a white chick". . I laughed and told him good luck. It's kind of funny, but sometimes being the center of attention is uncomfortable, especially since the only reason is because you are white. Going out alone at night is totally not an option, the boys here don't seem to be shy one bit.. and it can get a bit dicey so I make sure I have Jon with me if we go anywhere at night. Mostly though everyone is really nice and welcoming.

This Thursday afternoon the student body is meeting to determine whether or not there will be a strike. This started a few weeks ago with protests and boycotting classes (some international students actually had rocks thrown at them for going to class). The meeting this Thursday will determine whether a full scale strike will happen, and if so, it will begin Friday at 10 am and effectively close the school for 1-2 weeks. This has happened a few times in the past, but the students are a little more wary about it this time because the new president is so strict. If it does happen though usually the school will send out a notice telling the students to vacate the hostels and the school grounds by the afternoon... in which case it's hotel for us! haha so we'll have to see how this plays out.. it's been interesting because I can't imagine anything like this ever happening in the States.

Annnnd Jon added two pictures (of me.. as per request of my family) so that everyone would know I'm ok!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly!
    We are all glad to know u are alive and having fun. It's interesting to hear about how different things are there. Take care!
    -wendi

    ReplyDelete